Friday, June 29, 2007

Thought for the day...

As I work on album designs, occasionally, I will search the web for a quote or poem to add onto the page. In my search this morning, I ran across a very interesting "quote". I never knew the "requirements" or hidden meanings within "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue". So, this is for my future brides who can now spend even more time finding the perfect old, new, borrowed and blue items!

Something old,
Something new,
Something borrowed,
Something blue,
And a sixpence in the shoe.

In the United States the last line reads:
...And a new dime in the shoe.

The "old" must be something which has belonged to a happily married woman. The wearing of such an item insures a lucky transfer of happiness to the new bride. The "new" is the wedding gown, the shoes, or other apparel of the bride. The "borrowed" must be some object of gold to guarantee wealth and fortune in the future. The "blue" is symbolic of the heavens and also of true love. The "sixpence" or "new dime" must be worn in the heel of the left shoe to insure wealth and prosperity.

No comments: